In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection in the school, facilities operations will be geared toward meeting social distancing requirements and cleaning frequently touched spaces regularly. In carrying out projects or tasks supporting infection control, requirements will be met for changes associated with building spaces. Plans for changes or additions to facilities that require review by the Office of Facilities Planning (OFP), will be submitted to comply with the requirements of the 2020 New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (BC) and the State Energy Conservation Code.
The function, position and operation of stairs and corridor doors, which have closers with automatic hold opens (and are automatically released by the fire alarm system), will remain unchanged.
Upon reopening, the school plans to increase ventilation, to the greatest extent possible. Water systems will be flushed in buildings that have been unoccupied. Tech Valley High School plans to meet the deadline for submission of the Building Condition Survey or Visual Inspections on time. In addition, the lead water requirements will be carried out upon the reopening of the school under conditions consistent with when the building is “normally occupied.”
The building reopening plan and activities, which will or have occurred including:
- We have worked with our engineers to establish proper filtration requirements (e.g., filters that our HVAC system can handle have been checked and are installed).
- We have not formally done any alterations to the configuration of existing classrooms or spaces or the introduction of temporary and/or movable partitions.
- All existing toilet fixtures will be available for use in a building is established in the building and up to code.
- Drinking Water Facilities: Tech Valley will reduce the number of drinking fountains available, in order to facilitate frequent cleaning. However, since drinking fountains are a code required plumbing fixture, we will have water bottle fillers, disposable cups and bottled water for students who forget or do not have water.
- We will continue to maintain adequate, Code required ventilation (natural and mechanical) as designed.
Cleaning and disinfection following a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 case
Tech Valley High School and its landlord will provide for the cleaning and disinfection of exposed areas in the event an individual is confirmed to have COVID-19, with such cleaning and disinfection to include, at a minimum, all heavy transit areas and high-touch surfaces in accordance with The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) cleaning and disinfecting guidelines including:
- Closing off areas used by the person who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Opening outside doors and windows to increase air circulation in the area.
- Wait 24 hours before you clean and disinfect, unless waiting 24 hours is not feasible, in which case, wait as long as possible.
- Cleaning and disinfecting all areas used by the person suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19, such as offices, classrooms, bathrooms, lockers, and common areas.
- Once the area has been appropriately cleaned and disinfected, it can be reopened for use.
- Individuals without close or proximate contact with the person suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 can return to the area and resume school activities immediately after cleaning and disinfection.
- If more than seven days have passed since the person who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 visited or used the facility, additional cleaning and disinfection is not necessary, but routine cleaning and disinfection should continue.