In order to ensure equity and fairness, Tech Valley High School students are selected through a lottery system. Here’s how the process works:
- Completed applications are to be submitted to the middle school counselor in the district of residence by the set date each year (Mid-February).
- The middle school counselor’s office is responsible for submitting the completed applications to Tech Valley High School by 5 p.m. on the date announced (Early March).
- If the number of applications received is greater than the number of openings in the freshman class, a lottery will be conducted (March 15).
- Only students whose completed applications were received on or before the deadline will be included in the lottery.
- Boys and girls will be drawn from different pools from within each BOCES area to ensure gender equity.
- The lottery will be held at Tech Valley High School and overseen by the Principal & Chief Academic Officer in conjunction with BOCES officials.
- Students not selected will be placed on a waiting list.
- The names of students selected in the lottery will be sent to each school district followed by a letter to the student’s parent/guardian. All applicants will be notified of their status (Late March).
- Late applications will be held pending possible openings for current class enrollment.